Prelude Chamber Music Camp & Festival 2018 will be June 3rd – 10th.
We will open our camp week on Sunday, June 3, 2018 at the Friday Musicale with a performance by the Vega Quartet at 4PM. The main coaching center of camp will be Riverside Park United Methodist Church in Jacksonville, Florida (June 4-8), followed by weekend concerts (June 9-10). This is an incredible opportunity for students to learn from outstanding music professionals and teachers.
At Prelude Chamber Music Camp, you’ll study and rehearse as part of a small ensemble and with our dedicated coaches and teachers. You’ll also get a chance to explore new areas through elective break-outs and enjoy daily special events. After all your hard work, you’ll perform as an ensemble in concerts for friends, family and our community at the end of the week. You can come with your own pre-formed ensemble or we’ll create one for you. We accept all levels of musicians and ages.
Many of our coaches are also members of the Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra along with special guest musicians and instructors, who are invited to town to teach master classes on intensive topics such as communication, technique, interpretation, theory, composition and ensemble performance.
In order to organize everyone into tracks and levels that fit his/her current needs and abilities, each student auditions for placement.
Please watch these pages for up to date info and other special events for Prelude Chamber Music Camp and Concerts 2018.
When: June 3th – 10th, 2018
- Sun., June 3rd, Opening Performance and Orientation Event will be held at Friday Musicale, 645 Oak St., Jacksonville, FL 32204. Plan to arrive by 3pm to meet the instructors, get your personalized weekly schedule and important music camp week communications. The Vega Quartet will perform at 4pm! The concert is open to everyone – please invite your friends and family.
- Mon., June 4th – Fri., June 8th: Riverside Park United Methodist Church, 819 Park St, Jacksonville, FL 32204. All participants need to arrive and check-in at 8:45am. The daily schedule begins at 9am for everyone. Primary group pick up at 1pm; Prelude and Intensive groups dismiss at 5pm daily.
- Sat., June 9th, Student Concert: Primary and Prelude Track Performance at Riverside Park United Methodist Church. Concert begins at 11:30am.
- Sat., June 9th, Outreach Concerts: Some Prelude and All Intensive Groups Participate. Locations and times to be published at a later date.
- Sun., June 10th, Student Concert Finale: Intensive and Advanced Prelude Track Performance 4:00pm at Friday Musicale.
All concerts free and open to the public. Please invite your friends and family!
- Please complete your registration by April 3rd.
- Placement Auditions will be held on April 14-15th at Hendricks Avenue Baptist Church. More information at preludechambermusic.org/placement-auditions. Note: All Prelude and Intensive Track registrants must audition for placement. Primary Track applicants are not required to participate in placement auditions. You may audition solo or with your pre-formed group. Each person must pay the deposit before placement auditions.
[button link=”https://form.jotform.com/73361039103952″ color=”purple” newwindow=”yes”] Go here to register for camp. [/button]
When: June 3rd – 10th.
Where: Mon-Fri we’ll be at Riverside Park United Methodist Church, 819 Park St, Jacksonville, FL 32204. Note: Some opening and closing weekend events will be at different locations. See details below.
Pricing and Tuition:
- Primary Track: $375 / week
- Prelude Track: $450 / week
- Intensive Track: $500 / week
- $75 Deposit due by April 15th
- $50 Discount for payment of full tuition by April 15th
- $50 late fee for registration after April 15th
- Full-tuition due by June 1st
- Need-based tuition assistance available. Please complete the financial assistance form for consideration.
[button link=”https://form.jotform.com/80798250703965″ color=”green” newwindow=”yes”] Click to Pay Registration or Tuition[/button]
- Primary hours: 9am – 1pm Mon – Fri (June 4 – 8) at Riverside Park United Methodist Church; Orientation with parents/family on Sunday, June 3rd at 3pm followed by opening Vega Quartet concert at 4pm (Friday Musicale); Recital on Saturday, June 9th, 11:30am at Riverside Park United Methodist Church.
- Prelude hours: 9am – 5pm daily Mon – Fri (June 4 – 8) at Riverside Park United Methodist Church; Orientation with parents/family on Sunday, June 3rd at 3pm followed by opening Vega Quartet concert at 4pm (Friday Musicale); Recital on Saturday/Sunday, June 9th/10th
- Intensive hours: 9am – 5pm daily Mon – Fri (June 4 – 8) at Riverside Park United Methodist Church; Orientation with parents/family on Sunday, June 3rd at 3pm followed by opening Vega Quartet concert at 4pm (Friday Musicale); Recital on Sunday, June 10th, 4pm at Friday Musicale.
Welcome to our 17th season of Prelude Chamber Music Camp & Festival in Jacksonville, Florida, where we’ve been teaching kids and adults the joy of chamber music since 2002. Started by a Jacksonville Symphony violinist Jeanne Majors, and two colleagues, Chris Chappell and Vernon Humbert, the strings chamber music camp has become an annual labor of love for Jeanne and the many musicians who teach at the camp each summer.
Prelude Chamber Music Camp & Festival is open every June to strings students of all ages and to musicians of all levels of proficiency. Each year about 60 – 100 students participate in the summer camp and festival, and many receive generous scholarships provided by our donors. Prelude’s alumni grow up with a greater appreciation for classical music, team work, and self-discipline. Some continue to pursue professional musical careers.
From beginners to master musicians, different tracks of small ensembles (usually 3-4 in an ensemble) are organized based on the participant registration, the instrument mix, skills, performance experience, maturity and other important small-ensemble considerations. Whether you have a pre-formed ensemble or want to be placed, there’s always a spot for you. Complementary small ensembles are carefully chosen by our organizers.
Each year funds are raised to foster outreach programs and to bring in more students who otherwise would not have had the means or the opportunity to experience music education in this inviting and well-organized environment that encourages students to move beyond current abilities and demonstrate their best.
- Outstanding experienced faculty
- 4:1 (participant to coach) ratio
- Structured and exploratory learning opportunities
- Students may organize their own small ensemble or be assigned to an ensemble by our faculty who listens to a placement audition
- Centrally located and convenient to our whole community
- Provides opportunities to explore other aspects of music-making in our electives programs; Sign up for electives at placement audition
- Performance opportunities for all participants during and after the festival sessions.
- Partial and Full scholarships available by written request and review with camp application.