Music Camp and Festival Information
Prelude Chamber Music Camp & Festival 2017 will be June 4th – 11th, at Riverside Park United Methodist Church in Jacksonville, Florida. This is an incredible opportunity for students to learn from outstanding music professionals and teachers. Many of the instructors are also members of the Jacksonville Symphony. Special guest performances and instructors are invited to town to teach master classes on intensive topics such as interpretation, theory, composition and ensemble performance. The camp accepts all levels of musicians. In order to organize the students into tracks and levels that fit his/her current needs and abilities, each student auditions for placement. We also ask for teacher recommendations.
- Registration opens Jan. 2nd. Please complete your registration by April 3rd.
- Placement Auditions will be held on April 22nd at Riverside Park United Methodist Church located at 819 Park St, Jacksonville, FL 32204. Note: All Prelude and Intensive Track registrants must audition for placement. Primary Track applicants are not required to participate in placement auditions. You may audition solo or with your pre-formed group. Each person must pay the deposit before placement auditions.
When: June 4th – 11th.
Where: Riverside Park United Methodist Church, 819 Park St, Jacksonville, FL 32204
Pricing and Tuition:
- Primary Track: $375 / week
- Prelude Track: $450 / week
- Intensive Track: $500 / week
- $75 Deposit due by April 17th
- $50 Discount for payment of full tuition by April 17th
- $50 late fee for registration after April 17th
- Need-based tuition assistance available. Please complete the financial assistance form for consideration.
- Primary hours: 9am – 1pm Mon – Fri (June 5 – 9); Orientation with parents/family on Sunday, June 4th afternoon; Recital on Saturday, June 10th
- Prelude hours: 9am – 5pm daily Mon – Fri (June 5 – 9); Orientation with parents/family on Sunday, June 4th afternoon; Recital on Saturday/Sunday, June 10th/11th
- Intensive hours: 9am – 5pm daily Mon – Fri (June 5 – 9); Orientation with parents/family on Sunday, June 4th afternoon; Recital on Sunday, June 11th
Welcome to our 16th season of Prelude Chamber Music Camp & Festival in Jacksonville, Florida, where we’ve been teaching kids and adults the joy of chamber music since 2002. Started by a Jacksonville Symphony violinist Jeanne Majors, and two colleagues, Chris Chappell and Vernon Humbert, the strings chamber music camp has become an annual labor of love for Jeanne and the many musicians who teach at the camp each summer.
Prelude Chamber Music Camp & Festival is open every June to strings students of all ages and to musicians of all levels of proficiency. Each year about 65 – 100 students participate in the summer camp and festival, and many receive generous scholarships provided by our donors. Prelude’s alumni grow up with a greater appreciation for classical music, team work, and self-discipline. Some continue to pursue professional musical careers.
From beginners to master musicians, different tracks of small ensembles (usually 3-4 in an ensemble) are organized based on the participant registration, the instrument mix, skills, performance experience, maturity and other important small-ensemble considerations. Whether you have a pre-formed ensemble or want to be placed, there’s always a spot for you. Complementary small ensembles are carefully chosen by our organizers.
Each year funds are raised to foster outreach programs and to bring in more students who otherwise would not have had the means or the opportunity to experience music education in this inviting and well-organized environment that encourages students to move beyond current abilities and demonstrate their best.
- Outstanding experienced faculty
- 4:1 (participant to coach) ratio
- Structured and exploratory learning opportunities
- Students may organize their own small ensemble or be assigned to an ensemble by our faculty who listens to a placement audition
- Centrally located and convenient to our whole community
- Provides opportunities to explore other aspects of music-making in our electives programs; Sign up for electives at placement audition
- Performance opportunities for all participants during and after the festival sessions.
- Partial and Full scholarships available by written request and review with camp application.