Music Camp and Festival Information
Prelude Chamber Music Camp in Jacksonville, Florida, has been teaching kids the joy of chamber music since 2002. The brainchild of Jacksonville Symphony violinist Jeanne Majors, the music camp has become an annual labor of love for her and the many local professional musicians who teach there.
Our music camp is open every June to strings students of all ages and to musicians of all levels of proficiency. Each year 90-100 students attend the 1-2 week summer camp and many receive generous scholarships. Prelude Camp’s alumni grow up with a greater appreciation for classical music, team work, and self-discipline. Some continue to pursue professional musical careers.
The camp is a main attraction for all ages in the Northeast Florida area. Most student participants are in the range of ages 5-25. Each year funds are raised to foster outreach programs and to bring in more students who otherwise would not have had the means or the opportunity to experience music education in this inviting and well-organized environment that encourages students to move beyond current abilities and demonstrate their best.
Prelude Chamber Music Camp & Festival will be June 8-17, 2015, in Jacksonville, Florida. This is an incredible opportunity for students to learn from some of the area’s leading music teachers. Many of the instructors are also members of the Jacksonville Symphony. Special guests and instructors teach master classes on intensive topics such as interpretation, theory and ensemble performance. The camp accepts all levels of musicians. In order to organize the students into tracks and levels that fit his/her current needs and abilities, each student auditions for placement only. We also ask for teacher recommendations.
Week I, June 8-13, 2015 is Prelude Chamber Music Camp at Riverside Park United Methodist Church located at 819 Park St. Jacksonville, FL 32204, near I95 (Riverside /5-Points area). Daily Check-in is required by 8:45AM. Early arrival begins at 8:00 am. Earliest pick-up time is 1:00 pm for younger students. Latest pick-up time option available is 5:30 pm.
Bonus 3-day experience (Week II), June 15-17, is the Prelude Chamber Music Festival Week at Riverside Presbyterian Church located at 849 Park Street, Jacksonville, FL 32204, near I95 Park Street Exit (Riverside/5-Points area). Daily Check-in is required by 8:45AM. Early arrival begins at 8:00 am. Latest pick-up time option available is 5:30 pm. Important Notes: This week is reserved for Intensive Track students who participate in the prior camp preparation week. The Vega Quartet Master Classes and concerts happen this week, and Intensive Track participants will share and perform with the Vega Quartet during these special events. Prelude Track campers are invited to observe open sessions and everyone is invited to the concerts.
- Outstanding experienced faculty
- 4:1 (camper to teacher) ratio
- Structured and exploratory learning opportunities
- Students may organize their own small ensemble or be assigned to an ensemble by our faculty who listens to a placement audition
- Centrally located and convenient to our whole community
- Provides opportunities to explore other aspects of music-making in our electives programs; Sign up for electives at placement audition
- Performance opportunities for all participants during and after the camp sessions.
- Partial scholarships available by written request with camp application.
Sign Up Deadlines and Details: All applications must be received online or postmarked by April 4. A $75 non-refundable deposit, which is applied to tuition, is due at the time of application submittal. Earlybird Special: Payment in full by April 16, qualifies for $50 off the tuition. A Late Fee of $50 (in addition to $75 deposit) must accompany late applications submitted April 5–28. (Request an audition by e-mail or phone if applying at the last minute.)
Important Dates and Details:
Summary of Important Dates and Deadlines:
- Application acceptance on-time deadline April 4th. $75 non-refundable camp deposit due to be credited towards tuition.
- After April 4th, applications are considered late, but will be considered if space is available until April 28 with $50 late fee.
- Placement Auditions will be held April 11th for all camp registrants.
- Take $50 off tuition if you pay in-full by April 16th.
- Notice of Scholarships Awarded by May 16th. Email notifications will be received by all scholarship recipients.
- April 20th is the last day to request financial aid.
- Payment in Full Required by June 1. All tuition and fees are due by June 1.
- Important Dates and Deadlines Reference – For Download
- You can submit the registration form, make a deposit and pay for tuition online via our website, see Camp Application.
- If you don’t want to pay online, you can complete the application/registration online now and just mail us your payment separately to the address provided. Be sure to include the camper’s name on the check or include a note.
- Or you can print the Camp Application, fill it out with a pen or pencil, and mail it along with your payment to Prelude Chamber Music, Inc., 4770 Apache Avenue, Jacksonville, Florida 32210, or hand deliver it to Jeanne Majors. Prelude Chamber Music Camp Application and Information 2015 FOR PRINT
Placement Audition Details:
Applicants must sign up for an audition time slot sign up for the placement audition.
NOTICE: For those who missed the audition that was held on April 11th or are registering late and still need to audition, please follow these instructions:
- Register online (The Most Important!)
- Record about 6-10 minutes of video of you (or you and your ensemble) performing. Record and/or convert in a format to upload to YouTube with a setting of Unlisted or Public (NOT Private). Send the link and your name to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 19th (the sooner the better). Our suggestion is to include two contrasting solo excerpts, maybe from a recent recital or a new recording, and if you have a recording with your preformed group or other chamber ensemble experience to share with us, that would be great to include. You can make a video with your preformed group for your audition that all in the group can submit for the placement audition, but you must register individually. We help to select a group for you if you don’t already have a preformed group.
- Register for Financial Assistance if needed.
- Pay your registration deposit of $75 (online preferably). This amount will be credited toward your tuition.
- Pay your late registration fee of $50 (since it’s after Apr 4th). This amount will not go toward your tuition.
- Pay your full tuition by June 1st. *Note that if you are receiving financial assistance, then you will be notified in May.
Hendricks Ave Baptist Church, April 11th. Elect morning or afternoon preference. All need to audition. Pre-formed ensembles are welcomed, and your ensemble may choose to play an audition as a group. A theory placement test will also be administered at the audition. Perform your own selections solo or with your pre-formed group. Our suggestion is to include two contrasting excerpts, maybe from a recent recital or something you’ve rehearsed solo or with a pre-formed group. Soon after auditions, we will inform you of your placement and begin to put ensembles together – if you don’t already have one. We welcome your own ensemble and we’re happy to create an ensemble that’s best suited for you – either is fine. Note: If you have scheduling conflicts with the audition date, please contact us and we will do our best to accommodate.
Note: For students auditioning for Intensive Track placement who have a scheduling conflict, please record your video (under 10 min) and upload to YouTube with a setting of Unlisted or Public (NOT Private) and send the link and your name to email@example.com by April 19th. The video does not have to be professionally recorded, but please do try to have good sound quality so that we can hear you play well without distracting noises. Our suggestion is to include two contrasting solo excerpts, maybe from a recent recital or a new recording, and if you have a recording with your preformed group or other chamber ensemble experience to share with us, that would be great to include. You can make a video with your preformed group for your audition that all in the group can submit for the placement audition, but you must register individually. We help to select a group for you if you don’t already have a preformed group.
Concerts and Special Events: Special events are daily concerts presented by faculty and guests.
There are several concerts that the students will participate in, please see the lists details below. Primary and Prelude participants have one concert to perform. Intensive participants have three to perform. And all concerts are Open for All Audiences and FREE (except for Fleet Landing).
The first student concert/recital will be held Saturday at 11:30AM, June 13th. Campers are required to attend all events during the week(s) of enrollment and to perform with their assigned ensembles. Family and friends are invited to come. This concert recital will be at Riverside Park United Methodist Church in the Sanctuary. (Performers will need to arrive earlier for rehearsal, time to be announced.)
The Intensive Track will perform several concerts, here is the list:
- Saturday, June 13th, 11:30 AM as part of the first concert/recital – Performers should plan to arrive early for rehearsal (exact time to be announced). FREE and Open to All Audiences.
- Sunday, June 14th (Flag Day performance at Fleet Landing) – time to be announced – open to residents and guests audiences of Fleet Landing.
- Wednesday, June 17th, an evening performance at 7pm (Intensive only and Vega Quartet) at Riverside Presbyterian Church in the Sanctuary. Dessert reception following the performance. FREE and Open to All Audiences. Doors open at 6:30pm for seating.
- Reminder: All Prelude and Intensive students should plan to go to the Vega Quartet Concert Tuesday, June 16th, 7pm at Riverside Presbyterian Church. Dessert reception following the performance. (Students are not performing in this concert.) FREE and Open to All Audiences.
The Primary track is designed for first-timers or those who are younger or not quite ready for the pace of our Prelude Track camp experience. Many students in this group are in elementary school or early middle school.
- 8:45 am check-in each day
- Mon-Fri 9AM-1PM for regular program, and concert on Sat at 11:30AM
- Week I: June 8 – June 12 and concert on Saturday June 13
- Tuition: $375 for the week per student. Primary Track Tuition Payment Processing
- Optional to participate in the early/extended day music and arts programming from 8am to 9am and 1pm – 5:30pm , additional fees apply. Adds $25 per student for the week.
To be placed in the Prelude Track, campers must demonstrate an ability to read music from at least Book 2 Suzuki (or equivalent) at the placement auditions. Daily schedule includes Orchestra, Theory, Coached Chamber Music, Special Events and Electives. Students in this group are usually in middle or high school, but some may be adults or even accelerated elementary students that wish to be challenged and are not ready for Intensive Track.
- 8:45am check-in each day
- Mon-Fri 9AM-4PM, concert on Sat at 11:30AM
- Week I: June 8 – June 12 and concert on Saturday June 13
- Tuition: $450 per week per student. Prelude Track Tuition Payment Processing
- Optional to participate in the early/extended day music and arts programming to allow for drop-off as early as 8:00 am and pick-up as late as 5:30 pm, additional fees apply. Allows for additional supervised rehearsal time. Adds $25 per student for the week.
For advanced students interested in tackling serious works from the chamber music literature. Enrollment is by invitation only, based on placement auditions. Daily schedule includes Orchestra, Theory, Coached Chamber Music & Independent rehearsing, Special Events, and one Elective. Students in this group typically include some middle schoolers, but most are in high-school or college.
- Mon-Fri 8:45AM Check-in each day
- Mon-Fri 9AM-5PM for Week I (5-day) Intensive Camp
- Mon-Wed 9AM-4/5PM for Week II (bonus 3-day) Intensive Camp & Festival with Vega Quartet Master Classes and Festival Performances. To participate in this 3-day special programming, the student must participate in the Intensive program during Week I.
- Vega Quartet performs at 7PM Tuesday, June 16th at Riverside Presbyterian Church (RPC) in the Sanctuary.
- Student recital and special performance with Vega Quartet will be the evening of Wednesday, June 17th at 7PM at RPC.
- Week I (5-days): June 8 – June 12 and recital on Saturday June 13th at Riverside Park United Methodist Church
- Fleet Landing Performance (selected) June 14th
- Week II (3-days added): June 15 – June 17 with recital on Wednesday evening on June 17th at Riverside Presbyterian Church
- Vega Quartet Concert is Tuesday evening June 16th at Riverside Presbyterian Church
- Tuition: $500 per student (includes Week I Camp (5-days) and Week II Camp & Festival Program (3-days))
- Optional to participate in the early/extended day music and arts programming to allow for drop-off as early as 8:00 am and pick-up as late as 5:30 pm, additional fees apply. Allows for additional supervised rehearsal time. Adds $25 per student for the week. Intensive Track Tuition Payment Processing
- Primary Track: $375 for the week. (Pay the deposit of $75 first by Apr 4th, then complete the tuition payment by June 1st.)
- Prelude Track: $450 for the week. (Pay the deposit of $75 first by Apr 4th, then complete the tuition payment by June 1st.)
- Intensive Track: $500 for the week and includes the following week camp/festival. (Pay the deposit of $75 first by Apr 4th, then complete the tuition payment by June 1st. This price is for the 5-day program June 8-13 and includes a free 3-day program June 15-17.)
- Discounts available for early payment in full. Pay $50 less than the full tuition price if you register by April 4 and pay in full by April 4.
- A late fee of $50 is due in addition to the $75 deposit if registration is received Apr 5th or later.
- Cost includes tuition, music, camp t-shirt, insurance, snacks, drinks (lunch is not provided), special events, and Master Classes.
- Go to Payment Processing to pay for your registration deposit and/or tuition for summer camp or mail-in payments.
- Financial assistance available on request. Please complete the financial assistance form for consideration.