Music Camp and Festival Information
Prelude Chamber Music Festival in Jacksonville, Florida, has been teaching kids and adults the joy of chamber music since 2002. The brainchild of Jacksonville Symphony violinist Jeanne Majors, the music camp has become an annual labor of love for her and the many local professional musicians who teach there.
Prelude Chamber Music Camp & Festival is open every June to strings students of all ages and to musicians of all levels of proficiency. Each year about 100 students attend the 1-2 week summer music festival, and many receive generous scholarships. Prelude’s alumni grow up with a greater appreciation for classical music, team work, and self-discipline. Some continue to pursue professional musical careers.
The camp is a main attraction for all ages in the Northeast Florida area. From beginners to master musicians, different tracks of small ensembles (usually 3-4 in an ensemble) are organized based on the participant registration, the instrument mix, skills, performance experience, maturity and other important small-ensemble considerations. Whether you have a pre-formed ensemble or want to be placed, there’s always a spot for you. Complementary small ensembles are carefully chosen by our organizers.
Each year funds are raised to foster outreach programs and to bring in more students who otherwise would not have had the means or the opportunity to experience music education in this inviting and well-organized environment that encourages students to move beyond current abilities and demonstrate their best.
Prelude Chamber Music Camp & Festival will be June 12th – 19th, 2016, in Jacksonville, Florida. This is an incredible opportunity for students to learn from outstanding music professionals and teachers. Many of the instructors are also members of the Jacksonville Symphony. Special guest performances and instructors are invited to town to teach master classes on intensive topics such as interpretation, theory, composition and ensemble performance. The camp accepts all levels of musicians. In order to organize the students into tracks and levels that fit his/her current needs and abilities, each student auditions for placement. We also ask for teacher recommendations.
We are planning for summer now and working to raise the funds needed! More information about each track and our programming for this year’s Prelude Festival will be coming soon. Registration opens in January. Placement Auditions are in April.
- Outstanding experienced faculty
- 4:1 (participant to coach) ratio
- Structured and exploratory learning opportunities
- Students may organize their own small ensemble or be assigned to an ensemble by our faculty who listens to a placement audition
- Centrally located and convenient to our whole community
- Provides opportunities to explore other aspects of music-making in our electives programs; Sign up for electives at placement audition
- Performance opportunities for all participants during and after the festival sessions.
- Partial and Full scholarships available by written request and review with camp application.
Pricing and Tuition:
- Primary Track: $375 for the week. (Pay the deposit of $75 first by Apr 4th, then complete the tuition payment by June 1st.)
- Prelude Track: $450 for the week. (Pay the deposit of $75 first by Apr 4th, then complete the tuition payment by June 1st.)
- Intensive Track: $500 for the week and includes the following week camp/festival. (Pay the deposit of $75 first by Apr 4th, then complete the tuition payment by June 1st. This price is for the 5-day program June 8-13 and includes a free 3-day program June 15-17.)
- Discounts available for early payment in full. Pay $50 less than the full tuition price if you register by April 4 and pay in full by April 4.
- A late fee of $50 is due in addition to the $75 deposit if registration is received Apr 5th or later.
- Cost includes tuition, music, camp t-shirt, insurance, snacks, drinks (lunch is not provided), special events, and Master Classes.
- Go to Payment Processing to pay for your registration deposit and/or tuition for summer camp or mail-in payments.
- Financial assistance available on request. Please complete the financial assistance form for consideration.